BPW International has permanent representatives at the United Nations and its agencies in New York, Geneva, Paris, Vienna and at the Regional Commissions. In New York, EPW-NYC members are accredited UN representatives to ECOSOC: Elizabeth Benham, Harriet Friedlander, Lyn Hensle-Hirsch, Elizabeth (Liz) Irwin, Susan O’Malley, and Den Quinsay.
EPW-NYC members accredited as representatives to the UN Department of Public Information: Francesca Burack and Tess Mateo and UN DPI Youth Representatives are: Julia Brown and Rosalie Capps.
These representatives keep BPWI affiliates informed of UN activities, represent their views during meetings, and advocate particularly on issues relating to the status of women.
BPW International works with:
- the Division for the Advancement of Women through the NGO Committee on the Status of Women
- INSTRAW Women’s Training Centre
- UN WOMEN
- Project 5-0 International
- ILO Training Centre
- Women’s World Banking
- and over 50 other ongoing projects around the world.
- organize workshops
- participate in planning for the annual meeting of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW)
- produce statements and position papers
- research and provide background materials on various issues
- provide valuable input into the outcomes of many UN meetings, conferences, forums, and discussions
- and attend special events at the UN.
1975 to 1995
BPW International has played a major role in all four World Conferences for Women
In addition, BPW has sponsored, co-sponsored, and participated in regional meetings which have included training seminars, workshops, conferences, and trade fairs.
The late Claire Fulcher, an American, was
- the founding convenor of the NGO Committee on UNIFEM (now UN WOMEN).
- co-founder of the very active NGO Committee on Mental Health, which has been instrumental in advancing the view that mental health is essential to the creation and maintenance of individual and world peace, security, and stability.
We honor Claire’s dedication to BPW International and the United Nations with our annual Claire Fulcher Dinner. Members attend from all over the world to thank and honor our present UN Representatives and get to know each other better.
Eva Richter, EPW-NYC member and former main UN Representative
- co-founded the NGO Committee on Migration, which has focused on assuring that the dignity and human rights of migrants will be respected and maintained in the global economy
- represented BPW International for 13 years at the UN.
Susan O’Malley, EPW-NYC member is Chair of the UN CSW/NY presently the main BPW UN Representative
It also has consultative status and special relations with the
- International Labor Office (ILO)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
BPW International has Consultative Status and Special Relations with the United Nations WOMEN.
As a non-government organization (NGO), BPWI has Consultative Status, Category 1, with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).