BPW International has permanent representatives at the United Nations and its agencies in New York, Geneva, Paris, Vienna and at the Regional Commissions. In New York, NFBPWC-NYC members are accredited UN representatives to ECOSOC: Dr. Helena Kane Finn, Nermin Ahmad, Judi Kilachand, Susan O’Malley, Alison Smale, and Sheila Stamps.
NFBPWC-NYC members accredited as representatives to the UN Department of Public Information: Francesca Burack and Tess Mateo.
These representatives keep BPWI affiliates informed of UN activities, represent their views during meetings, and advocate particularly on issues relating to the status of women.
BPW International works with:
- the Division for the Advancement of Women through the NGO Committee on the Status of Women
- INSTRAW Women’s Training Centre
- UN WOMEN
- Project 5-0 International
- ILO Training Centre
- Women’s World Banking
- And over 50 other ongoing projects around the world.
- organize workshops
- participate in planning for the annual meeting of the Commission on the Status of Women (CSW)
- produce statements and position papers
- research and provide background materials on various issues
- provide valuable input into the outcomes of many UN meetings, conferences, forums, and discussions
- and attend special events at the UN.
1975 to 1995
BPW International has played a major role in all four World Conferences for Women.
1995 and Ongoing Work
BPW International, represented in NY by NFBPWC-NYC members, sponsors, co-sponsors, and participates in regional meetings which have included training seminars, workshops, conferences, and trade fairs.
The late Claire Fulcher, an American and NYC member, was
- the founding convenor of the NGO Committee on UNIFEM (now UN WOMEN).
- co-founder of the very active NGO Committee on Mental Health, which has been instrumental in advancing the view that mental health is essential to the creation and maintenance of individual and world peace, security, and stability.
We honor Claire’s dedication to BPW International and the United Nations with BPW’s annual Claire Fulcher Dinner. Members from all over the world attend to thank and honor our present UN Representatives and get to know each other better.
Elizabeth (Liz) Benham, NFBPWC-NYC associate member is Treasurer of ConGo (The Conference of NGOs in Consultative Relationship with the United Nations) an umbrella organization of NGOs.
CoNGO and its members have frequently drawn critical attention to the need for the member governments of the UN to more purposefully and faithfully adhere to, live up to, and give substance to the goals and values of the UN Charter.
- President of NFBPWC-USA
- Past President of BPW International
- UN Rep for BPW International to the UN for 20 years.
Susan O’Malley, NFBPWC-USA member is Chair of the UN CSW/NY and presently the main BPW UN Representative.
- Communication Chair and editor of Action for Girls for the Working Group on Girls.
- Former Co-Chair of the Planning Committee for the NGO Forum 59.
- Co-Organizer of the monthly NGO CSW/NY meetings based on the 12 areas of action of the Beijing Platform for Action, 2014-2015.
Eva Richter, NFBPWC-USA member and former main UN Representative
- Co-Founder of the Committee on Migration, which has focused on assuring that the dignity and human rights of migrants will be respected and maintained in the global economy.
- UN Representative of BPW International for 13 years at the UN.
BPW has consultative status and special relations with the
- International Labor Office (ILO)
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO)
- United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO)
- United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD)
- World Health Organization (WHO)
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
- United Nations WOMEN.
As a non-government organization (NGO), BPWI has Consultative Status, Category 1, with the United Nations Economic and Social Council (ECOSOC).